Chanting from the Heart: Chanting Basics Class
This introductory workshop is open to all skill levels, and to anyone who wants to use sound and their voice as a part of their practice. In the workshop we will:
• Talk about the three types of voice: Chest/belly, throat, and nasal. We will practice using these types of voice and talk about their benefits and drawbacks.
• Explore the use of breathing as a part of chanting practice.
• Practice rhythmic chanting and how to lead a group.
• Learn how to project and open the voice, and explore the difference between singing and chanting.
• Explore energy resonances with tonal chanting, and learn how different tones vibrate different chakra and energetic resonances.
• Practice listening and chanting with a group to produce harmonics, move energy, and deepen meditation practice.
Suggested donation $10.00, in advance or at the door. No one turned away for lack of funds.
You are also invited to come back at 7:00 p.m. that same evening for the free Pari-Nirvana Chanting Vigil, from 7:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
Birdie Daimei Marmaduke
Daimei was born and raised in Portland, Oregon and has been singing most of her life. She has sung in many choral settings including Portland Symphonic Girlchoir and Aurora Women's Chorus, and was the youngest board member to serve on the Concord Community of Choirs board of directors, at 16 years old. She was trained in vocal techniques and toning by Judith Lynn Bowen and assisted in teaching toning classes. She has participated in a variety of musical projects and enjoys creating ceremonies and chants. She has received awards from Thalia Karaphia (a pagan organization) for her chant writing. Daimei was trained as an Ino (chant leader) at Great Vow Zen Monastery in 2011 and has been utilizing her skills on Sunday evenings at Heart of Wisdom Zen Temple.
Daime is also a member of the Sangha Harmony Committee.