Directions to Great Vow
Driving Directions from I-5 (North or South)
- Take exit 36 -- to merge on to WA-432 West to Longview City Center (if you're coming from Portland, stay left at the exit).
- Once in Longview, turn LEFT (south) onto "Oregon Way" at the sign to “Highway 30 to Oregon”.
- Cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge into Oregon.
- Turn RIGHT (west) onto Hwy 30 towards Astoria. You will enter Clatskanie after about 12 miles.
- Turn RIGHT at the stoplight, on Nehalem Street, immediately before Humps Restaurant.
- Go straight to the end, and then follow the road left onto 5th Street.
- Stay on this road; do NOT take the first left fork to the Poplar Farm.
- You will reach a fork after 2.9 miles; stay left on Mayger Road, following the street signs saying "Zen Monastery".
- The monastery is on the RIGHT, 1.8 miles past the fork, at 79640 Quincy-Mayger Road (Clatskanie, OR).
Watch out for changing speed zones in Clatskanie (45, 35, 25)!
Greyhound and Amtrak both have service to the Kelso/Longview station in WA, which is a short drive from the monastery. Columbia County Rider offers shuttle service from this station to the monastery for about $10.
- Greyhound - 1-800-231-2222
- Amtrak - 1-800-872-7245
- Columbia County Rider - www.columbiacountyrider.com - 503-366-0159 (they need 48 hours notice)
Great Vow is about 75 miles NW of the Portland airport. Once at the Portland airport there are three options for getting to the monastery. The first option is to be arranged to be picked up. If you arrive on Thursday or Sunday afternoon it is sometimes possible that someone from the monastery could provide transportation. You must call the monastery and arrange this before purchasing your ticket.
If you cannot arranged to be picked up, a second option is to take Portland's light rail from the airport to the train station. Then take Amtrak to Longview/Kelso, then Columbia County Rider (503.366.0159) to Clatskanie, and we can pick you up in Clatskanie.