Zen Community of Oregon Covid Policy
Great Vow (updated 4/21/2022)
Sunday morning program is open. Please RSVP (email@example.com) Please take a rapid test prior to driving to the monastery and photograph the results. After testing, masks are optional.
You can also join via Zoom or YouTube. To join online click here.
Retreats are open for in-person attendance with testing and vaccination. See below for our testing requirement. You can also join us online.
- Proof of vaccination is required for attendance at sesshin or other retreats, and for monastery residency.
- Take a rapid test immediately prior to driving to the monastery, photograph results.
- Please bring your vaccination card to attend a ZCO event in person.
- If you are feeling ill, have been in close contact with someone who is ill or tested positive for Covid, please stay home.
Heart of Wisdom (updated 5/20/2022)
Masks are strongly recommended at Heart of Wisdom for in-person meditation. In-person attendees need to be vaccinated and boosted.
At Heart of Wisdom masks are optional but strongly recommended (with some exceptions below) as a result of the ending of Oregon’s statewide indoor mask mandate.
This announcement is based on the most current guidelines by the City of Portland and public health guidance from the Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Multnomah County, and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Covid policies for Heart of Wisdom (beginning Sunday March 12):
1. Vaccinations are required and boosters are encouraged. If you are not boosted we request that you continue to wear a mask at all times at Heart of Wisdom.
2. We will maintain social distance in the zendo (meditation hall) and throughout the building. The zendo limit is 22 people.
3. If you are sick or live with someone who feels sick; if you have a recent positive Covid test or have potentially been exposed to Covid, please join us via zoom and do not come in person.
4. We will maintain ventilation in the Zendo. Dress appropriately.
5. Masks are not required if you are boosted, but you are always welcome to wear one.
As circumstances change we will update our policies.
More information about regular meditation at the temple is on the calendar page.
What we are doing at the monastery
For our part we have asked all residents to limit public excursions and to wear a mask when doing so (all residents are also fully vaccinated). The shared dorms and general communal nature of the monastery makes it infeasible to wear masks together while on retreat. We are taking these steps not only for the benefit of the residents of the monastery but also for the health of our community(s) as a whole.
If you live with someone who is unvaccinated or if you are concerned at all about attending and choose to cancel we will provide you with a full refund.